Saturday, June 19, 2010

Natural Bridge Caverns

So we are taking full advantage of Matt's current unemployed status and doing all the fun family things that we've wanted to do but have never had the time for. So naturally what I want to do wins! Let me preface this post by saying, I really really really love caves! Karst topography (sinkholes and caves) were always my favorite thing to study in geology. Growing up we made a number of visits to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, so I've loved caves from an early age. Carlsbad is great because it is huge, but it's not "alive" like Natural Bridge Caverns is. During our time in Utah we visited Timp cave, it was small and relatively dull compared to this one. I think the boys had a good time too(but who really cares, the trip was for me!). We even forked out the dough to get one of those touristy photos because we all look okay (which is a big deal for our family).
Here are a few of my favorite cavern pictures.
Jason and Ian on top of the dinosaur (what do dinosaurs have to do with caves?) NOTHING!
Here were some really cool stalagmites, they are unusually skinny for stalagmites of their size.
Some curtians and soda straws, you can see them dripping, we got quite a few drips during our tour.
Crystal clear cave water, it was so beautiful.
It's hard to imagine the scale of this room, but it was huge, you can see some of the most fantastic colloumns.
I really enjoyed this cave, I can't wait to go back and do some other tours.  It's amazing to me what limestone, water, and calcium carbonate can do. 

2 comments:

Beth said...

Tim and I also just went there. I really want to go back and do the 3 hour tour where you actually go spelunking with a small group. So cool!

Julie Markham said...

I love caves, too. One of my favorites is Luray Caverns in Virginia, if you ever make it there.