Saturday, June 27, 2009

So you thought...

So you thought New Mexico was ALL barren deserts, tumble weeds and cacti?

Today we spent the day with my parents and my sister. We went for a hike up the Pajarito Ski hill. The summit elevation was 10,510ft and we climbed up a black diamond trail to make it to the top (a 1,400ft vertical ascent)! We hiked with 4 kids under the age of 7, and they all made it to the top. In fact, I wore my flip flops (my everyday staple) and had no problems hiking UP the mountain in them, coming down was another story. My sister was kind enough to give me one of her shoes, so we could make back down. The hike was good (there was a bit of adjustment going from sea level to 10 thousand feet), the views were spectacular and the wild flowers were amazing!



Uncle Matt carrying Olivia up the hill (can you see how steep our hike was?) Look how cute our family is at the top of the mountain.


Ian with the wild flowers.


Aunt Emily, Sophie, Jason and Ian taking a rest.


Going down the mountain, Uncle Matt, Olivia, Emily and Jason.

My feet and Emily's feet, with our flip flop shoe combo!

6 comments:

Emily Nutz O'Neal said...

When I read your sister gave you "one shoe" I thought it was a mistake...then I saw the pictures! no, no mistake! Yes, your family IS super cute at the top of the hill.

Mindy and Benjamin said...

you guys really are pretty cute.

Kelly said...

you guys are cute! We miss you here already!

Emily said...

Thanks, it was a fun day.

Kelli said...

Did you break out into song? Oh c'mon you know "The hills are alive with the sound of music?" I know Matt did, didn't he?

You guys are super cute! And that place is gorgeous! Love the one shoe thing? Did it really help?

Oh and Vi is OK, I think she hates me but she's OK!

Sally said...

Cute pics! I love NM! It's so fun to be here with you guys! :) I can't believe you did that hike in flops!!!!