Saturday, March 22, 2008

Crawfish Boil

Jeff (Matt's co-worker) invited us over to experience our first crawfish boil. It's a right of passage for anyone living on the gulf coast! Let me run down the procedure for cooking crawfish. The crawfish are alive and crawling around in a huge cooler. The little guys are then placed into seasoned boiling water to cook. While they cooked we enjoyed watching the boys play football and visiting. After a short time they are pulled out of their very hot bath and placed into another cooler where they are heavily seasoned. When a few batches are completed they are laid out on a table. And it's time to eat, but you have to de-head and peel each little guy. Don't worry; it's not as cruel as getting boiled alive. The peeling process is actually kind of fun. And they are really good. I quickly got over my fear of eating things that were alive just a few moments ago, and even more impressive, I got over my fear of eating things that look like what they are. We had a blast and the whole process was completely fascinating to me. We can't wait to do it again!
The Living Crawfish

Football Ian

Jeff removing them from the water

Dean & Jeff laying them out

2 comments:

Sally said...

How fun! But I must say I could NOT do it! I am a wimp and I don't like seafood. Looks like fun though.

Cannon Clan said...

your so brave i'm not sure i would have tried. ian looks so big! tell him to slow down, i cant believe he is going to be three what are you going to do?