Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hatch


Do you know what that is? It's a Hatch green chile. My family and friends from New Mexico will appreicate what this is. For the rest of you it's what's inside those little tins of green chiles from the store. Hatch green chiles are grown in Hatch New Mexico and are special to any type of true New Mexican cuisine. So how did I end up with some? My favorite store Hubble and Hudson is having a Hatch Green Chile Festival, they were roasting (and peeling) chiles. I got some already roasted and I also bought some fresh ones to try my hand at roasting, though I'm not looking forward to peeling and seeding (looks like I'll be calling my mom for that). I was so excited, can you tell, I'm blogging about green chiles, new Mexico green chilies! Matt and I have both lived in NM but he's the only native New Mexican in our family, so here he is with the state vegetable of NM.
Funny, the spell check doesn't like the word Chile (but that's how it's spelled!)

7 comments:

Julie Markham said...

Cut the peppers in half, seed them, put them on a cookie sheet and brush oil on top. Broil them until the skins are black, and the top layer peels right off. Oh, so good. Let me know how it turns out!

The Cannon Family said...

Erik is very jealous. He just decided he wants to save his 'allowance' next month and buy some hatch green chiles :o)

Grandma Lil said...

Terri, the best way is just to put them on your grill, but before they are grilled wash very well, as pesticides are used, then prick with a fork. Allow the skins to get black...no oil is necessary. They can be frozen with or without the skins.

Terri said...

Yes yes, I know how to roast them, it's the pealing and seeding that I need help with (mostly technique) Anyhoo Still very excited.

Carl & Rosemarie Brauning said...

Did you see on FB that I made homemade Red Chile Carne and Green Chile stew? I thought of you when updating my status becuse I thought to myself,who in Texas will even know what I'm talking about? I like to roast them on the grill or on an open flame in the kitchen. (Depends on how much I want to sweat inside or outside.) I have found that slightly freezing them on a cookie sheet after roasting allows the crispt/charbroiled skin to slide right off!

Emily said...

Yum, I should have dared Matt to take a big bit of one. They look great, did you save some for rellenos?

Rachel Anderson said...

Two hot New Mexicans in that photo!