Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Really Flowery Cake

A cake for Mindy's baby shower.
Yes, I may have gone a little overboard when decorating this cake.  Some days being extra girly is fun.  I started out with an idea about making a bunch of royal icing flowers and then placing a few on the top of a cake.  At one point there was style and form, but it all went out the window when I started to grow attached to all the individual flowers I made, and I felt they needed a place.  I know it looks like a flower vomited on it, but I think that Mindy liked it and it really tasted good. For my cake decorating friends- I used a hybrid shortening/buttercream frosting for crumb layer and the basket weave.  It was easy to work with, easy to smooth, strong enough to hold up, and it didn't get soft when in a decorating bag (plus it tasted more like a buttercream then a shortening frosting!)


I wanted to thank my hubby for giving me my cake decorating caddy for Christmas - It's awesome and I love it, plus it's much better then keeping my stuff in a paper bag!

9 comments:

Grandma Lil said...

Beautiful!!!

Mindy and Benjamin said...

Yeah it was pretty much just awesome. Thanks Terri!

Bapa said...

Nice cake! It looks like you're armed for many birthdays to come.

Say, I need some fresh pictures of your boys for our digital picture frame.

Kelly said...

SO CUTE!! AND YUMMY!!!!! Thanks for being willing to make it. SO much better than cupcakes and WAY better than muffins. Thanks for being SO awesome!!

Emily Nutz O'Neal said...

that cake caddy looks awesome, it makes me want to bow down in praise.

Sally said...

A woman of many talents! Now I want cake!

Kelli said...

Really pretty looks super tasty too!

Jenna said...

So pretty! You've got skills. Cake decorating rocks. :)

Jenna said...

P.S. Thanks for the info on the icing. I've been nervous about icing cakes when summer rolls around. I'll definitely give that a try soon.