Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Regrets

So, I am no expert when it comes to spiders (okay, maybe I am), anyway we can say that I have a "better than average" knowledge about them. Today I noticed a spider while I was walking up the stairs and thought that it had really beautiful legs (don't judge me!) The spider's legs were long, with dark bands around them. I recognized that it wasn't one of the more common spiders that we have in our house, and that it also had a really great spider shape... really small head, large abdomen with distinct brown makings and longer than normal legs that flair (can you see where I am headed with this... anyone?) Yep, if you guessed that I was looking at the classic 'widow' shape you are correct (and a total spider geek)! So while I am enjoying the beauty of our visitor, my mind catches up with my eyes, Do I really think a Brown Widow should be in my house? I am watching the girls from next door and my sweet spider lover, Ian, is an inch away looking at the spider with me. I don't want to freak anyone out, so I just calmly tell the kids that I think I am going to kill this spider and to stand back so that I don't lose it. I got a Kleenex and came down on the scared little spider. Surely I would not have died if this spider bit me, but I definitely killed it. I regret the fact that I crushed it so hard that I couldn't even make out its hourglass on her underside. I regret that I didn't have a jar or something that I could capture it in just to look at her without fear of injury to one of my kiddos! I really didn't want a (probably not deadly) but certainly dangerous spider in my house, but I regret that I had to destroy it too!

Here are five fun Brown Widow Facts. 1. Brown Widow spiders are often called the brown button spider. 2. They are cousins of the famous Black Widow, they have the same body shape, are around the same size, and have an hourglass shape on the underside of their abdomen, the brown widow's hourglass can be anywhere from brown, orange, yellow and tan. The black widow's is always red. 3. Researchers believe that the Brown Widow venom is twice and potent as the blacks' but it is confined to the tissue and does not spread through the bloodstream. 4. The brown widow egg sack is spiky. 5. There are over 30 types of Widow spiders, and they are found on every content except Antarctica. The Brown Widow is very common in Texas, and we just had a hurricane, poor little babies are bound to come indoors. Man I really wish I would have a least taken a picture :(
As for me, I will be looking out for spiky egg sacs tomorrow.

9 comments:

Grandma Lil said...

Gross, gross! Never heard of a brown widow. If you find a spiky egg sack, squash it outside. And keep a jar handy!!!

Mattamorphasis said...

I swear I don't know this woman.

Cannon Clan said...

we just sprayed a black widow that was inbetween carsons window and screen, its still there all dead and in perfect condition, you can have it if it makes you feel better :)

Grandma Lil said...

That's funny Heidi. I think that you should wrap it up and save it for her!!

Emily said...

We have lots of black widows in our backyard and house. I hate them. I constatly have fears that one of the girls (or myself) will get bitten by one. I can even tell which webs are theirs (scatterd, and really tough), and I destroy them on sight. I'm proud you didn't freak out.
P.S. Thanks for the widow info; do they all kill their mates? Excellent.....

Julie Markham said...

Terri: there is no such thing as a "fun spider fact." Seriously. Provo is the first place I have lived where we see black widow spiders. Snakes, I'm ok with. Spiders -- they have always given me the creeps. I love you anyway, though.

Sally said...

That's funny and sad! Sorry you had to kill it, well actually I'm not sorry the spider is dead, I'm sorry you feel bad.

BTW, I have arachnophobia!!!!!

Carrie said...

Spiders everywhere are so glad to have you for their guardian and friend. Except the one you killed. I'm glad someone is able to appreciate the beauty in them . . . I killed a little guy on the floor today without giving it a second thought, and it wasn't even harmful. Sorry spider girl.

1..2..3..Painter Team said...

You are funny! My friend got bit by a black widow & didn't know it & tell he landed in the ER with SEVERE stomach cramps & was hospitalized for two days. I think you were smart to kill it.