Sunday, August 15, 2010

"On your left"

I finished my first triathalon today! Matt was in good form documenting the whole thing.  I was nervious, all week I was stressed out about it.  I tried to calm myself that this was just my "practice" tri, because I am only halfway through my training program (I have another tri in october). 


We dragged the boys out of bed at 5:00 am, but the sunrise over the lake was worth it.  Between the sunrise and a quick warm up in the lake, I calmed down and was ready!
A friend of mine gave me some advice: get in the front of the pack, so you don't have to swim through everybody or get kicked, however, in order to be in the front, I needed to be in the water (but I couldn't reach the bottom) so I had to tred water for 5 min before I swam. 
The swim felt great. I'm glad I was at the front of the pack, I even passed up some of the earlier wave. 

I was a pretty fast transitioner, just had to throw on some socks, shoes, helmet and glasses (I need glasses - bugs love to fly into my eyes)
Off I go! The bike was nice, the scenery was so beautiful.  I discovered one problem, being a fast swimmer put me ahead of the pack, but I'm still new to biking and not that fast. So it was a little depressing, I heard 45 minutes of people saying "on your left" because they were passing me!  Also the road was clearly marked 20mph, but I have it on good authority that some of those ladies were going faster then that!
Part 3, running!  Yikes it was hot, who in the world thought it was a good idea to do a race in August in Houston! My run/walk wasn't great but I finished strong.
Overall it was fun, and a really great learning experence. I know where I need to improve and where I just need to push harder.  Overall time 1:30.51, I was 252nd out of 480.
I got home and my suit was muddy from the lake, I had twigs and grass in my socks, I was sweaty and gross, but I had a smile on my face.

10 comments:

Beth said...

You're so awesome! I bet you'll kick your current time's butt in October.

Carrie said...

You rock!! I'm inspired by triathletes (YOU!). I like the idea of completing one, but I can't swim well and I don't like biking. So I just run. Way to go!

Mindy and Benjamin said...

Terri you are amazing! Way to go! Perhaps a trip to lollicup is in order to celebrate...

Jana said...

and then you taught relief society...! Wonder woman!

(Matty was retelling Matt's story about your random nervous screams last night at dinner. Hee hee.)

Julie Markham said...

I am proud to know you!

Sally said...

Way to go Terri! What an accomplishment!

Grandma Lil said...

Terri, you are awesome. Congratulations on being true to yourself and aspiring to become better. Love you sweetie.

Grandma Lil said...

BTW, you look great!

Julia and Aaron said...

This is Julia (Pratt) Mason. I found your blog through Chelsea's. Just wanted to say that when I was in H.S. my triathlons looked just like yours:). The bike would kill me. I'd be last. I'd make up a lot of time on the swim and I'd hold my own on the run. It would be fun to get back in shape and do that again. Just a few more years and we'll have a little more time and money!

Good job on your first triathlon!

Jardinefamily said...

You go girl....now you are ready for a half marathon...come on Ogden half in May!!!!