Monday, May 19, 2008

Brazos Bend State Park

Alligator
Matt & Ian get a close up view!
Terri, points to the little one.
Who's watching who?
The frogs held perfectly still... They didn't want to be a gator meal.
My monkeys in a tree!
Isn't it amazingly beautiful!
It may look like ground, but it's all water under there (maybe some gators too).
Watching a turtle in the water from the observations tower.

Saturday we went to Brazos Bend State Park, it's just outside of Houston. It's absolutely gorgeous, Matt and I hope we will never get used to the Green. Things just don't get so green in NM, & UT. We love the water and the vegetation and most of all we LOVE the wildlife. We went hoping to see some Alligators, and they didn't disappoint. The first alligator that we saw was probably 50 feet away and I was thrilled, but I didn't know that we be so close that we could have touched them if we wanted too. This is a state park, but these are wild alligators, they are not fed by the park, so you wouldn't want to get too close or you could be lunch! One alligator keep moving toward Ian when we weren't right next to him, it made me a little nervous. It was fine though, it would have been really cool to see an alligator eat someone, even if it was my little one. We watched the alligators for an hour, I couldn't get used their majesty or size, they were beautiful. Jason watched cautiously from the sidelines, but Ian was fascinated. Ian said he loves alligators. He was so into everything we saw, and we saw much more amazing wildlife, Huge water turtles, frogs, Huge birds -seriously ginormous birds, and enough bugs to make me smile. We were lucky to see some centipedes and had quite a bit of fun with a Roley-poley. This is one Houston destination that we will be going back to!

7 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, that looks like a really cool place to visit. I'd better not go with Olivia though, they might think she was a nice little appitizer.

Cannon Clan said...

yikes, i think aligators are scary. i love the green though, can i come live with you?

Terri said...

Oh, heidi, you would just die here, the flowers are like nothing I have ever seen before! And you can come and live with us anytime :)

Grandma Lil said...

Absolultely beautiful, I think I would love to visit there...can we put it on the list? Iam reminds me of you, Terri...his fascination with animals, etc. I love the picture of you and Ian walking and the spanish moss?? hanging from the trees. Sooooooo lovely.

Sally said...

You are a true spider...loving bugs! What a great place! Reminds me of my green and wet New Jersey, beautiful! I hope we can visit you sometime, I don't know when or how, but I still hope!

Kelly said...

Cory and I will have to take the kids there...it looked like a lot of fun. You cracked me up about how cool it would be to see an alligator eat someone..lol!

Matt said...

That looks so fun. I don't know why we've never gone. I love the pictures of you and Ian walking hand in hand. Also, loved the pictures of your family applying and exploring physics principles at Kemah. Way to bring Matt's research to a new level. :)