Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Extreme Camouflage

Can you see me?
While I was waiting for the bus to show up today, I was noticing that my hibiscus bush was bug free (it has had an infestation for a few weeks, and was struggling to survive because of it). In fact it was so bad that I almost bought some harsh chemicals last week but I thought I would try something natural first... but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. While examining the plant I saw some movement, I looked harder to see that there was a spider, that was the exact color of the leaves! She was wasn't very big about and 3/4 of an inch and had great camouflage (I am surprised that I even spotted her, but I have been told I have a hyper-awareness for spiders) I found her color fascinating, so I grabbed my ever ready camera and started to take some pictures. It was difficult to get the close ups because there was a lot of wind, and plant was blowing back and forth. I am surprised that any of the photos were in focus. I know that I already have a reputation as the "crazy spider lady" but I think she is beautiful. Turns out that it's a Green Lynx Spider, and the lynx spiders are among the major predators of insects occurring in low shrubs and herbaceous vegetation! Thanks you miss lynx spider for helping my hibiscus infestation and for being so pretty!

Go ahead... click to zoom! I really like the spider shadow. And her hairy legs- I think I should show her how to shave her legs.

** Update, I just went to check on her and she was eating a bug! So awesome.

7 comments:

Grandma Lil said...

OMG, what a beautiful lady...and yes, only you would spot her. I especially love her transparent legs

Julie Markham said...

I need some of those spiders on my roses. Great photos!

Kelly said...

is seriously awesome! You are rubbing off on me...blow that up and put it on your wall!!!

Jenna said...

Gorgeous photography! I'm so glad she saved your hibiscus. I never chase spiders out of my garden.
If you are interested in a natural insecticide, you can use cedar oil. It doesn't hurt beneficial insects. They have a big green and white building in old town Spring by Shipley’s. Sounds like you don't need it though, thanks to the spider! :)

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html

Carrie said...

AMAZING!

Emily said...

super cool. I didn't know spiders came in that color

Cannon Clan said...

you took a great shot! she looks happy and full!